Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

SUU HERE WE COME!!!




I HAVE TO USE BIG FONT TO EXPRESS HOW FREAKING STOKED WE ARE RIGHT NOW!!!! BEN HAS BEEN ACCEPTED INTO SUU'S MFA PROGRAM!!!! YAY!!! WE ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!! 

So I'll tell you the chain of events.  Ben was supposed to hear on April 1st, and obviously he didn't.  He tried emailing and was told that he should know at the very latest, Tuesday. That was yesterday. No info! UGHHH! So Ben tossed and turned and had nightmares that he didn't get into the program.  We've been going to the library and such to check our emails and everything so we'd know if he got any info.  It was so SO frustrating! 

So today right before we ate lunch Ben emailed again (our internet is back).  We ate lunch and Ben was mentioning how if he doesn't get into this program he's gonna need to get on some meds...cuz he'll be a crazy person.  Can't blame him after 5 months of being unemployed, with no calls for interviews or anything! And I KNOW he's this amazingly qualified person- but the arts just are NOT hiring right now. Like everyone else obviously.  

So I was on the phone with my dad when I saw Ben's phone start to ring. It was a Cedar City number! I yelled for Ben to come and answer it and he looked sick and nervous! haha. So I waited till he was almost off the phone and tried to read his expression. I was SO scared!

So he hung up and told me "I GOT IN!" I jumped up and down and almost peed my pants!  In case you don't understand how amazing this is for us, let me just fill you in:

1. The MFA (Masters in Fine Arts Administration) program is SUU's ONLY terminal degree! Meaning in the Arts Admin world, it is the equivalent of a PHD! 

2. 35 people applied this year.  Usually 5-6 get in. This year Ben was one of FOUR PEOPLE!!!  (due to budget cuts)
3.  This program pays for Ben's tuition! It is a Work Study program, so he doesn't pay tuition, and he actually gets PAID about $8,000 per year for his work!

4.  At the end of the 2 year program, one of his graduation requirements is a summer internship!!! Some of the places he wants to go are the Sydney Opera House, or an Opera Festival in Europe! 

5.  The application process was rough! He had to interview with the Director  of the department, and the Dean of the Music department.  He had to get three letters of recommendation, letter of intent, and resume.  If any of you ever want an amazing resume to help you build yours, ask and I'll show you Ben's. It's AMAZING. I'd hire him any day for any job!

6.  After completion of the program his earning potential will be at least double what it would be if he were to just work his way up!  He will qualify for Director and Management jobs within opera, musical theater and many other departments of the arts! 

I am SO proud of my husband! He's been so diligent.  We have had our faith tested a LOT these past few months but truly feel that the Lord has His hand in our lives.  We know no matter what we do, we will be watched over and protected!  We feel that things are finally falling into place and we will prosper from here on out!!!

YAY! We're moving to Cedar!!!! GO THUNDERBIRDS!!!

10 comments:

Alicia said...

CONGRATS!!!! That is GRRRREAT news! I am so glad you guys are able to go! I hope everything works out just perfect! It sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

Robyn said...

WEll I was hoping to be the first to congratulate you guys, but I will just have to settle with being second. Congratulations! I am so excited for you, and happy for Ben! I am so happy for this new chapter in your lives! Everything happens for a reason, right! Way to hang in there, we love you guys. :)

Cameron and Paige said...

Hey Kirsten, i just came across your blog and wanted to say congrats on Ben getting into SUU. I hope things continue to work out for you!

kate said...

O.k.. this seems legit! CONGRATS!

Katie Nikolaus said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

♥Shally said...

YAY! I knew it would all work out... :)

Errin said...

yay, i hope this isnt a prank.. j.k :) congrats!

Shively's said...

I'm so excited for the two of you! This is wonderful and helps to remind us that the Lord always has His plans for us if we just get out of the way and let him do His work! I am soooooo happy and very very very proud of the two of you---more than you can even imagine---and I love you!

Teria Brooks said...

Yay! Congratulations!! :D

Jeff Olsen said...

That is pretty cool, now you guys will be closer to us! btw, that is so cool you remembered what day our anniversary is on. You Rock!