Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lessons Learned

I know I talk about school A LOT. That's life right now...and I start to feel that maybe my posts are annoying to the general public. But I feel like every semester I have new experiences that I didn't anticipate and they merit a good ole blog post. Last semester it was photojournalism...this semester it's my history classes: History of Utah and Black History Month. Once upon a time when I went to SUU for two weeks before I met Ben and dropped out, I was a history major. I thought it would be awesome...but I slowly realized it's quite overwhelming to learn about 4 different time periods in history all at once. However, this semester I enrolled in two history classes mostly as fillers so I could have upper division credits. History of Utah is an online class which was a huge bonus...but I have learned SO much more than I bargained for.

Black History Month has been the BIGGEST eye opener. I knew things were bad in the past...but I had absolutely no concept of the realities African Americans used to face. I have had the privilege of hearing a few black scholars talk about the histories of African American culture, and today I was able to hear from Reverend France Davis who was at the "I Have A Dream" speech, and marched with Dr. King. It was an emotional experience for me. He didn't get too much into those experiences, but just hearing him speak and absorbing the wonderful thoughts he had was so meaningful. He talked about the importance of proverbs, songs, poetry and stories in the African American culture, but it was more applicable to all people...and how these things are beneficial to a happy life. I loved the stories he told...and he quoted several poems by Langston Hughes including I Sing America. This one really moved me:

I, Too, Sing America

by Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.

They send me to eat in the kitchen

When company comes,

But I laugh,

And eat well,

And grow strong.

Tomorrow,

I'll be at the table

When company comes.

Nobody'll dare

Say to me,

"Eat in the kitchen,"

Then.

Besides,

They'll see how beautiful I am

And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.


I could write for hours on the things I've learned, the lessons I've learned and the fact that I think everyone should have to take a class like this at some point in their lifetime....but let me finish by saying I am SO grateful for Dr. King, Rosa Parks, Malcom X, and the other people whose names are not as well known for their efforts but who fought equally for their rights as human beings. I pray the day will come when discrimination is no longer an issue in certain parts of the world...in the whole world for that matter. I've really learned to love my fellow man and appreciate the history of this culture.

2 comments:

According to Ana said...

I know you prob. don't have time but I just finished reading the help, I think you might like it maybe over spring break?

Robyn said...

mmm you should read the help. You'd LOVE it!