Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I should be focusing on my psychology homework...but it's a hard chapter. I thought it was only 19 pages, but in fact it is 29 pages. Too bad I can't do simple math, as I could have chosen a different chapter. Anyway...

While talking to my best friend Lauren today, (and by talking I mean instant messaging) we got into a discussion about creativity. I read a lot about it yesterday for my Early Childhood Education class and it sort of stuck with me.

I've said a million times "I'm just not that creative"...which is pretty stupid considering I've been exercising creativity my entire life, and possibly even more since becoming a mother. It's easy to classify creativity as coming up with new ideas, doing artwork and projects, or photographing beautiful things. But in fact, it is SO much more!

Creativity is in enjoying our surroundings, being aware of the way the clouds move in the sky. IT is in stopping to smell the roses and appreciating the fact that they bloom so beautifully.
(I took this picture...pretty creative of me huh?)

Creativity IS art in all its forms: Photography, painting, music, dancing, performing. We all possess an amazing ability to be creative in some form or another.

I think some of my creativity is found in my appreciation for art. I took an art history course a few years ago and since then I have found it extremely important to surround myself with art in some form. I don't remember all the technical details, i.e. artists names or periods in which they were completed, but I do know how they make me feel.

Lauren pointed out that I'm creative in my abilities to find ways to save money. So true! It's an art form to me, something I'm proud of and love sharing with others.

Also- being a mother is creativity in itself. It was the most creative thing my body has ever done-producing this perfect little creature. And each day the choices I make for him help me to be more creative and teach him how to be creative as well. Reading books together, going for walks through the canyon, letting him reach for and feel his mobile toy animals as I pick him up out of the crib. All of these are rich sensory experiences that benefit us both.

Aesthetics is probably my new favorite term. I think I enjoy the aesthetics of my Connor more than almost anything else. I love smelling him, kissing him, watching him sleep, watching him watch other things, helping him eat, etc.

I challenge all of you to find different ways in which you are creative!!! Don't discredit yourself. IT will make you feel so alive and good about yourself if you can discover even one thing you take for granted that makes you a creative person.

Leave a comment!!! I'd love to hear from you!

3 comments:

Lyndsey Swindlehurst said...

I appreciate this post! I think I get so wrapped up in the day to day issues that I forget to look at the small things that are important to my creativity to be a better person for myself and my family...Thanks Kirst! Love ya!

J. Adams said...

I like your definition of creativity. It's so easy to ignore that side of ourselves as women when we have so many other things going on. Kudos to recognizing the creativity in yourself.

Unknown said...

After catching up on your blog after missing it for a few months, I would say you are a very creative writer my Kirst:) I love reading everything and the ways you describe your life is so fun!