Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Oh the fizz...

How come after nearly a month of NOT drinking diet coke I can't stop thinking about it? I made it my resolution to QUIT the fizz...not for a month or a year, but FOREVER. And I have been okay for the most part...not missing the reliance on it too badly, feeling very liberated.

But last night Ben made a big mistake...I was VERY hyper and he said (and I still don't know what they have to do with each other) will you calm down if you have a diet coke??? I stopped in my tracks and seriously considered giving in.


And today I have spent most of the day getting ahead on homework,...and I sort of have the tired headache that used to precede my diet coke of the day. I really REALLY want one.

So now I ask...is it stupid to completely cut out the juice of life? I know it's bad for me...but is a little indulgence every now and then really all that bad?

All in favor of me never drinking it again say yay...all in favor of me breaking my streak....say nay. Or something....

4 comments:

KaraCampbell said...

As a person who doesn't understand soda addiction I say, have at it. A long as your aware how much you are drinking in proportion to other liquids, namely water, and soda isn't winning, youre good.

I kind of get it. Cafe rio has to be eaten with vanilla coke, so I order water and sip from Todds soda. :)

Also, coke is a must when one has a sore throat. It burns so good!

Other than that, or the occasional drink now and then I dont think is necessary.

Avree said...

From a dietitian's standpoint, cola drinks can be problematic because they can start a cycle of using the drink for energy, then you crash, then you need another drink. Also, there's been some interesting research on "fake sugars" like the ones in diet drinks. For some unknown reason, your body still sort of treats it like real sugar and raises your insulin levels, which then crash and leave you craving sweets. But like Kara said, I don't think the occasional drink now and then is going to kill you. You know yourself, if you think you can drink it every once in awhile and be fine, then go for it. But if you think you'll start needing it every day then stay away. Sorry if that was more than you wanted :)

Christina said...

before i start, i should disclose that i am a vanilla coke addict.

having said that, here is my opinion. i've tried giving soda up, and i've been successful for a week, a month, etc. and always end up going back to it. i was complaining to my husband, and he started talking about a book he was reading that talks about how it takes so much energy to continually deny ourselves what we want. the book has an elephant metaphor that i think describes it best: humans have a rational side and an emotional side, the emotional side is an elephant and the rational side is an person riding the elephant and trying to control it. so it is a lot of work to control that elephant/our emotional side. being LDS and a moral person/practical person in general means you have to deny a lot of your "natural man" instincts. that takes a lot of energy. so i've decided to give myself a freaking break and allow myself one vanilla coke per say. somedays even two or three :)

that was long...hopefully it even made sense...but that is my opinion on the subject :)

Jessica said...

I think it's ok to have one every once in a while... but if you feel you need to stop completely then stick to it.