Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Why me? Why always ME?!

Talk about catch up! May has been a busy and eventful month for us! I figured I'd blog about my recent traumatic experience..but there really won't be pictures. Trust me- it's for the best! So about a week and a half ago I started feeling this painful bump on my chest. I've always had a little cyst there...never hurt though. I figured it was a clogged milk duct or something since my milk was drying up. It just kept growing though...and hurting...A LOT. I was going to go to the doctor but was so scared...it was in a tender area and I didn't want anyone touching it! So through the Vegas trip I was pretty uncomfortable. Finally, on Friday when we got home from Vegas I went and saw Jeremy's mom..(Jeremy is my sister's missionary) who works at the wound clinic. She told me it looked like an abscess...and would need to be drained. SOON. GRREEAAAT. I LOVE "procedures"! I cried a bit and said "I just had a baby..and breastfed...why more pain for ME?! Why can't BEN have the abscess?!"

I reluctantly went to the instacare clinic on Sunset...the doc looked at it and said "Whoa..that's a bad abscess. It needs to be drained." People--it was 2X2 inches big! I no longer had cleavage..this lump was pushing the ladies apart! BLEHHH!!! I was in so much pain I figured it couldn't be worse than that..

So an hour later he had made an incision, drained over 1/2 cup of puss from it...stuck gauze into it and bandaged me up. He told me it was a major staff infection and was pretty advanced. It could have been REALLY bad if I hadn't come in. It could have spread to my heart...so I guess it's good I was brave. It was the WORST smell on the planet. Rotting flesh...and Ben almost fainted. He had to go sit in the hall on the floor. He's never been affected that way before by gross stuff...but it was BAD. It hurt like HE%*!!! I cried a little...cringed a lot-and thankfully had a nurse who let me squeeze her hand the whole time. And now, 3 days later--I've had the gauze taken out and replaced twice...still draining..still tender. I've been on antibiotics and loratab for the pain...but it's been MISERABLE! I thought the abscess itself was bad pain..but this has been worse!

My advice--if you ever start to grow a third breast...have it taken care of RIGHT AWAY!!!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

I wish you would have called me and told me about this! I would have made you go to the doctor! I can't believe you endured the pain that long, I seriously can't! Your description was disgusting, by the way. Poor Ben... But I feel worse for you. I really hope it's feeling better now and you're on the mend! Poor mama!!!!! You're tough though! (that's why you, by the way...you're a tough lady)