Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

Salt Lake+sick= interesting trip

We took a trip to Salt Lake May 12-13th for a conference Ben went to. I decided to tag along just for fun since the hotel and gas were paid for. We left Wednesday morning and had fun eating ice cream for breakfast from the Beaver Cheese Factory..and of course got some fresh curd. Connor did really great, napping here and there, and we only had to stop once in Nephi for him to get his wiggles out! We made a stop in Lehi to see Ben's friend Kennessa and her new baby Natalia. I had forgotten how small babies are at first! She was very long and beautiful...and I loved her new baby smell! But I'm pretty ok with the fact that Connor is growing up...I don't miss the colic! We got to Salt Lake and checked into our hotel, the Holiday Inn Express. I was so excited because the hotel had a mini "water park" called Grins and Fins.We let Connor rest and take time away from the car, then went to dinner at the Red Lion diner. I had a coupon (of course) so it was really cheap dinner! I had fish n chips..I had been craving them, and Ben had a burger. details..details...

We got back and took Connor to the pool...it was interesting to say the least. Here he is posing in his swimsuit! I was SO excited for him! The second we walked into the pool area he SCREAMED. The waterfalls hitting the water scared him cuz they were SO loud..and he just lost it! At first I had no idea what the sound was! Then I looked and realized it was my poor baby squealing! So we walked out and then slowly back in...he was nervous but did ok. I took him into the pool with me and it was just too cold...his gums were chattering. That's when I noticed his nose start to run...GRRREEAAATTT...so we got in the hot tub for a minute to warm up then he watched with daddy while I went down the waterslide. I was NOT intending to go under all the way but that slide just shoved me down into the pool! ha ha Ben could hear my screams...awkward!

That night was a ROUGH night. Connor had a baby crib and did NOT like it. And he was getting SICK. Luckily we had tylenol and tried our best to keep him asleep and comfortable..but I was basically up every hour or less giving him his binki. At 3:30 he was really mad and we didn't get him back to sleep til 5. Needless to say I was exhausted..Ben had to go to the conference that morning at 8:45..and after only a brief 1-2 hours of sleep Connor and I were tired! We tried to take a nap..and Connor was OUT until the housekeeping ladies started blasting latin music in the room next door and talking SO loudly right outside our door! Woke up my sick baby and made me MAD! I called the front desk and complained but the damage was already done! That set the tone for one HARD day. We had to check out by noon..and Ben's conference lasted until 3:15. So I had to wander the mall...which didn't work out cuz Connor was still sick..and tired. He wouldn't stop screaming. I finally gave up and went back to the car and drove until he fell asleep. I hate West Valley...stupidest drivers EVER! I almost got hit...but luckily the guy looked up at the right moment and we were all kept safe. I braved the mall again with a sleeping baby..and he woke up after 25 minutes. YIKES. We went to Costco and right when we started shopping Ben texted and was done early. YAY! I was so worn out, Connor was a mess and I just wanted to get HOME! It took us what felt like FOREVER to get home but finally did.

Connor was feeling MUCH better within a couple of days thank goodness! It was his FIRST time being sick. Not bad considering he is 5 1/2 months old! I think my breastmilk at least kept him healthy..and now that he's done with that hopefully I can still keep him healthy and happy!

What I learned: Don't take a stupid road trip just because it's free...

No comments: