Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lucky Me


Do you ever have days where you just feel overly grateful? I do, and the past couple of days have been that way. Yesterday started out as a really bad day. We tried transitioning Connor into his crib instead of his swing for bed...we've had him sleeping in his swing to keep him upright due to his reflux. He was up every 2-3 hours..not to eat, just fussed til he got his binki then was ok. Nonetheless it made me tired..and made him tired..so after an hour or so of crying and me getting frustrated..I decided that wasn't the type of day I wanted to have! Granted this would have been different if he were still a newborn and days like this were inevitable...but I figured he was old enough to be cheered up!

So we had a dance party..just Connor, me and the dog sorta watched us curiously. We blasted the music in the living room, danced around, smiled and laughed. It was so fun, and crazily enough brightened both of our days! Connor was in a pretty good mood the rest of the day, took a good nap (in my arms) and I was just HAPPY all day. And it carried over into today. I don't know if it gave me a boost of adrenaline, endorphins or WHAT but I am so thankful for the fun job I have of being a mommy!

Most days I don't even put my makeup on, and that's ok! Connor loves me no matter what I look like- how awesome is that?

I found myself reminiscing the past few days about the newborn phase...and how weird it is to have it be over. For example...Connor was the WORST sleeper as you've all read in my many posts on here and Facebook. At least that's what I THOUGHT! Truth is he did really well considering he had colic..and I was just over stressing about getting him into a routine! Babies will get adjusted when they are ready...we can't push them to do anything they're not ready to do! Without much help from me or any tricks, Connor now sleeps through the night...we're talking 7:30 p.m.-6:00 a.m.! And after eating he takes a nap til about 8..then another one from about 10-12 and the afternoons are a bit scattered. But it's AWESOME. It was a hard 4 months..but he's doing SO good!

And feeding him has evolved too...I was DETERMINED to breastfeed and frowned upon mothers who didn't..lame I know..but I did. Well go figure that after 4 months Connor HAD to be supplemented. It made me realize you can only do so much-but in the end it's the baby's needs that matter most! I took a bath last night and used some lavender body wash..totally reminded me of the days right after we came home from the hospital and I would take painful showers/baths...trying to relax..recover...and I'll forever remember how HARD breastfeeding was at first when I smell that body wash. I cried many a time...but it all paid off. I'm thankful he still nurses about 50% of the time!

I miss the little noises he used to make..I remember how the first few days home the only way he'd sleep (and I'd sleep) is if he was on my chest. I'd recline in the couch..turn on the fireplace, get a blanket and snooze with my brand new baby. It was so special to me.

The most incredible moment happened when he was about 5 days old. I was rocking him...and when I looked down at him I was so overcome with love and humility. I couldn't stop myself from crying..tears of joy, and tears of fear that anything should ever happen to this sweet baby in my arms. It's the moment I fell head over heels in love with him! I'll cherish that moment forever.

But the fun is just beginning...he smiles, he giggles, he snuggles, he reaches, he listens, he watches, he understands...and he makes us fall in love with him over and over! I love being a mommy--and how great is it that this cute little man is my son?!





Photo credit: Lauren Casto Photography

3 comments:

peppermintkisswithatwist said...

what kind of camera do you use?
your picture quality is AMAZING. and your son is one very handsome boy.

Avree said...

I love all the pictures, they make me want to kiss his little bald head! You have such a good attitude about being a mom. I laughed at your breastfeeding comment, I'm a dietitian so I used to feel the same way and tell moms in the hospital I work at they should breastfeed for a year. Well of course I only did for about 6 months. I think being a parent definitely humbles us!

Vignesh kumar said...

Ur kid is so cute...I really like ur blog.