Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

When did I grow up?

So yesterday as I was unloading the dishwasher and Ben was making dinner I asked him, "Does it ever seem weird that we're grown ups?" He agreed with me, that it's crazy to be on our own, managing our own household, raising a family, doing things our PARENTS did! We are our own family now and it just hits me sometimes how crazy it is that I'm old enough and responsible enough to be in charge! I can't believe I'm a mother and Connor relies on me for his every need!
When I had Connor my sister Desi asked my mom "Is Kirsten still going to act silly and be funny? Or is she going to be boring now?" HA HA! I know what she meant..I remembered being her age and having aunts or cousins have babies and they seemed to get so SERIOUS. Maybe it was the lack of sleep or something...but it just seemed like once they became mothers all the fun was sucked outta them. I really think I have maintained my sense of humor and silliness in spite of the boring mom trait-ha ha!

But really..do you ever feel too young to be so old? I made it through all three hours of church today and ENJOYED it. I'm ashamed to admit I was the teenager always goofing off in Sunday School. I loved Young Women's...but when I graduated and started going to Relief Society...well I didn't love it as much. Especially college ward RS..I hated it! My roomies and I ALWAYS ditched RS...ha ha. But now I guess I'm a grown up-because I love it!

Sometimes reality just strikes and I can't believe I survived the awkwardness of middle school, the rebellion of high school, the craziness of college and some other "big kid" moments somewhere in there. I can't believe I'm a wife and a mother...and when Ben graduates we'll have an even BIGGER adult moment when he gets his first BIG TIME job! I can't wait...but at the same time--I can. I'm going to enjoy this next year to its fullest!

Does anyone else know what I mean?

6 comments:

Miranda said...

YES!!! At least once a week it hits me that I can never go back in time and not have anymore responsibilities. I still watch my cartoons to keep in touch with my inner child. :) Like yesterday, I was feeling like I was still 15 and then I thought, "Miranda... you are 25 years old. You were 15 10 years ago! Grow up!..." But I must say it is nice to have my own family and to enjoy creating a home.

Missy said...

I WILL NEVER GROW UP! I have my moments of being a serious adult but most of the time I'm still excited as any kid when something happens. Its nice to have your family but I still find it really funny that my own mom is now a grandma and I'm a mom. But all in all life is great being a big kid!! :)

KaraCampbell said...

hear hear! i almost died when in a conversation i actually said "...I dated him 10 years ago..." now i know im old! thats not right to be able to say you dated someone 10 years ago!!!

Christina said...

i'm glad you still feel young, because i feel freaking old! i'm totally one of the "boring" moms now. awesome.

Lyndsey Swindlehurst said...

I know exactly what you mean. Me and Jer were just talking about this also. It really is crazy cuz I feel like I just finished high school and really that was like 7 years ago!!

kate said...

i know. getting old is weird. i haven't fully embraced it yet. i'm sure having a baby will be the nail in the coffin {he he.}