Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Today...

Today I felt like a really REALLY bad mom...

The day started out AWESOME..we slept til 10:10! I was so stoked to begin my day...feed the babe, work out on Wii Fit, then after he fell asleep for his nap I was going to load him up and go to WalMart, the bank, and maybe Walgreens...then I was going to come home, do laundry, clean the bathrooms, clean the kitchen, cook a chicken and make an awesome dinner. Mother/wife of the year type stuff!

Instead, I fed him, he pooped. I worked out on Wii Fit til he felt ignored and then fed him again. He pooped, so I changed him. I tried getting him to sleep...he pooped. I changed him again. A little while later he pooped AGAIN. By now it was funny and I laughed with him..what a silly boy! So by this time he's sick of being changed and gets fussy...so he eats again. The rest is a little blurry..I know I changed a total of 5-6 poopy diapers, did NOT get a nap out of him, did NOT go to any of those places mentioned above...and by 3:30 I was crying. I didn't so much care about not getting STUFF done, but it was SO hard trying to figure out why he was still fussy! I had fed, changed, loved and cuddled him ALL DAY. Why was he still so fussy?! My back hurt, my laundry was dirty, and blah blah blah. And it overwhelmed me to think that Ben is SICK and even when he got home I couldn't have any relief! Here's what I learned:

Even though I've heard it said a LOT..those little things do NOT matter. Laundry and dirty house will still be there tomorrow.
Babies totally CAN sense stress. It helps just to cuddle them even when they are crying and don't seem to appreciate it.
A mommy's work is never done...babies don't take breaks from being babies! But taking care of one is still the BEST job. I wouldn't change it for a thing.
You have to be grateful for 3 minute 1 inch deep luke warm baths because sometimes that's ALL the relaxation you're gonna get.
Going to the bathroom is a luxury....
Eating is a luxury...

Seeing Connor finally fall asleep in my arms was the sweetest thing that happened all day. I love that boy more than ANYTHING. I sometimes miss holding him when he's asleep in his cradle. I love when he first wakes up and is so delirious and happy just being picked up. That fresh baby smell is UNBEATABLE.

I hope for a better, easier tomorrow...but if it's not at least I'm still living out my dream of being a mother. Connor and Benjamin are my dreams come true...I am SO lucky and SO blessed. I had to hum the song "Did You Think to Pray" and "Count Your Many Blessings" today..and really it helped. Thank goodness for the power of prayer to calm even our worst anxieties and stress!

That's all...I think he MIGHT be awake again. :-)

8 comments:

~Ashley Dawn Photography~ said...

DOn't feel like a bad mom. I am sure everyone feels that way. And so cute and true that they can be all stress then once they are asleep you just love them that much more and you never knew it was possible. It grows and grows! I am excited about that when I become a mom :)

The Schmutz Family said...

Welcome to Motherhood in the best way Kirsten! He He. :)

Miranda said...

I felt like that until he turned 6 months old!!! I felt like such a stressed out mom because I thought I needed to do and be everything to everyone! When I finally quit work, Tanner miraculously calmed down. Now that I am a stay at home mom I do not stress about getting stuff done, but somehow now they get done. Tanner is sleeping so well and I feel like I have more time to myself than ever. Then I start thinking is it time for #2 if I am this bored. lol... naaah!

Alicia said...

DON'T FEEL BAD!!! Your doing GREAT! Everything is a mystery with kiddos...even after you have more then one! Something that usually helped my boys when it seemed like nothing else would was gas drops. You can get them anywhere and they are totally safe for them, it might help Connor??? Good Luck on a better tomorrow!

According to Ana said...

Sweet post.
the bad mom feeling is totally natural. besides you did have a lot planned for one day.
Being a mom is the best thing in the wide world.

Jason and Joanna said...

Hey Kirsten! Sounds like you had quite the day with your little man! But, you did what every mom needs to... just relax and take it as it comes :) Congratulations, it's a huge accomplishment, just as you said, when you look down and see your baby (who was just so unhappy minutes before) asleep in your arms. You guys' little dude is super cute- congratulations!

Lyndy Butler said...

I hear ya loud and clear sister!

Rich and Cass said...

Glad you survived a difficult week! It was good to see you this weekend if only for a little bit. You are a such a cute mom. I've got a blog now (hooray) so you should add me to your list :) cassideegates.blogspot.com. Love ya!