Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Walk a mile...

Soo...it's been a little while since my last post.  Here's a little update on what Ben and I have been up to the last couple weeks...

I mentioned before that my company was going to go on a harbor cruise in a yacht...but the yacht wasn't ready so the owners decided to hit the race tracks instead! They said "We're going to have a Del Mar day...we go to the Del Mar races and have some fun betting on the races and getting some food. It's really a good time. We'll get a bus or something to take us down." So I was thinking..ok that's cool...I won't bet cuz that's against my religion, I'll just go down for the ride. And I thought ok...a bus ride. That should be interesting...little did I know it was a LIMO bus! I walked in and almost peed my pants! It's like what you see in movies. It was so crazy cuz I walked on (I was the last one on) and everyone was sitting in there with their beers and the huge flat screen tv's on both sides of the bus, a pole (I think for strippers...I swear) and all the flashing neon lights. It was quite a sight to behold. I had been a little leery of going because I knew everyone would be drinking...but there was another LDS guy who went, and we sorta did our own thing.  The company ended up giving us all $150 dollars for the day! $50 was for food, and the hundred was for betting. Josh (the other LDS guy) and I reasoned that we would stash the fifty, and buy some food and some random bets with the hundred.  Whatever we didn't feel like betting, we took home to spend on our spouses. Some of you may find that a little dishonest...but we figured they gave us the money and we could use it how we wanted. So we made a couple bets (this we figured was ok because it was NOT our own money)...and it turned out to be fun! See the pictures I got...



The guy on the left is Dave, the partner who hired me, and on my right is "Izzy" our intern!
Left:Pete (he does equities) Center: Bob (C.E.O.) Right: Josh, my mormon buddy!
This is a fantastic shot of our stripper pole and flatscreen...and the apparent trend of older men in short shorts. Wow...
Far left: Fitz (NY accent, hilarious guy) Center: Our newest trader, Steve Right: Chris (the third partner of the company, and the one I work with the most)
Here's us Mormon betters! Josh told me to keep this off facebook...so blogger will just have to do!
Some boring shots of lame horses that I don't think even raced...
I wanted to get a shot of the BEAUTIFUL venue! This race track is a BIG deal. A lot of Hollywood stars have spent some time here...
Me being silly with my betting tickets. I think I won $3.80 from this race. 
My glory shot. Isn't it so cool?! This is a turf race, where the horses run on turf, and are literally just inches from where you're standing. Behind them are the stands we sat in for all the other races. 
Sort of a group shot...there were 17 of us total. Obviously we're not all in here. 

So don't worry...I'm not taking up a life of gambling. By the end of the trip I was ready to be home. The music in the bus was REALLY loud, and everyone was boozed up.  You can definitely tell when the Spirit isn't residing somewhere.  I missed my husband and my dogs...and just the quiet life I lead. I was only gone for 7 hours...and that was almost too long!  I DO work for a great company though...they always ask about Ben and his company, and how I'm doing and if I'm ok. They are very considerate and I feel important working there!

On another note...Ben and I sorta started a little tradition! Last weekend we walked from our apartment to South Coast Plaza with our dogs to give them some exercise (actually to wear them out so we could sleep in) and to get some ice cream! It was a nice walk, and we got some pictures...but they aren't very attractive of me..because I had spent NINE and a half hours at traffic school that day!!! The things I do to save money on insurance...it was HELL. And when Ben hugged me when I got home after hitting EVERY LIGHT... I lost it and bawled (hence the need for ice cream). ANYWAY...I'm not going to post those pictures. Long story short, we decided after that we were NEVER taking the dogs again. It was too hard to keep them from running into the street.  So this weekend we walked over again to return something to Best Buy, and buy me some more makeup! We ended up buying a few things (one of those cool pads you can hook into the computer and literally WRITE on...and it transfers to the screen!) and then as we were deciding which route to take home, I remembered that MAMA MIA was playing at a small theater across the street. So we walked the OTHER way to the theater (this made for a long walk...) and made it just as the lights were dimming! It was such a fun night and we got like 3.5 miles of exercise! We loved it so much we are considering selling BOTH of our cars and walking everywhere! hahaha...

On ANOTHER note...we almost threw our dogs into the ocean this past week.  lady was sick and Ben came home more than twice to find a nasty mess all over the cage, all over Figaro...and other things. But after eating some rice she is feeling MUCH better. TMI for you all maybe...but I just wanted to say that I DO love my dogs even though they are a PAIN! And it has taught me a lot about what parenting will be like...(I think)

Ok peace out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun! I'm glad you went, and got pictures! Hooray for winning $3.80!

Robyn said...

Ok honey I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you can do traffic school online. It takes like and hour and a half and it's open book. Tyler and I have both done it. So you know for the future....

And about the dog barf. I have never come home to find barf all over my kid and his crib. I think dogs may actually be more of a pain than kids. But I know you don't have a choice about one this right now. ;)

Robyn said...

Hahaha, I thought you loved the animal kingdom! So Ben's going to school now huh! I didn't know that. Does that mean you'll be staying in the area for long(er) term? When is this all happening?

I'm so sorry you couldn't do it online. That must have been the pits! but I'm glad to hear it wasn't wasted time.

Errin said...

thats pretty freaking sweet! Your job rocks! I love the stripper pole right in the middle of the bus!

Robyn said...

I was on a church activity, and I didn't think it would be polite to invite you and ignore all of the girls since I don't know any of them very well! I thought about maybe having you com pick me up but then I didn't know how I would get home! Sorrrrry... I wanted to. we'll get together, soooon.. very soon...