Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

WHY?

Today's post is for all of us wondering WHY people can be SO lame, dumb, stupid, etc...

I am luckily not severely affected by the course of action that has led to this complaint blog...so I'm not shaking with anger or anything. Just wondering WHY?

2 years ago Ben and I had just started dating. We were doing the long distance thing-and it was so fun to travel back and forth! Being the wonderful man Ben is--when I called him on September 27th crying because my grandma had just passed away, he asked if I wanted him to come. At first I said no, that would be too much to ask. But after we hung up I realized I DID want him there. And I knew chances were I'd be asked to sing for the funeral, and judging by how HARD it was to sing for my grandpa's funeral years before, I thought it'd be nice if we could sing a duet. Ben didn't hesitate for a moment, he bought his plane ticket and was there within 2 days. He rented a car for that visit, since I didn't have the energy to drive to Vegas to get him, and the shuttle schedule didn't work with his flight time. I remember he was SO tired and could hardly wait to get into town.

He picked up the rental car and had a hard time figuring out how to get out of the airport...they had just changed their exit or something. He was talking to Lauren on the phone when he hung up all of a sudden (after saying one swear word--which indicated something BAD had happened since he NEVER swears). He called back and said he had jus been in a small accident, a fender bender. I can't relay the exact details, as I was not there- but it sounds like he changed lanes at about the same time as a lady was merging into the same lane, so the very back bumper of his rental car hit the front of hers. VERY minor--nobody was even near hurt. It was SO ridiculous. There had been a cop nearby that saw the whole thing and apparently had blinders on because he wrote BEN the ticket-even though it was technically both of their fault.

Long story short--Ben's insurance with State Farm DOUBLED because of the mishap. The woman racked up a TON of medical bills for "injuries" sustained in the accident. More like chiropractic work she probably blamed on the accident that didn't even cause any damage! He had to switch to a new company when we got married, and then recently we switched to a very cheap company here in Utah.

It's been a little over two years since the incident. State Farm called him today and let him know that woman has filed a suit against him. She had attempted this before in the past I believe--but finally went through with it just days before the statute of limitations expired. We are not worried- State Farm will cover the entire thing, and they will pay for Ben to travel to Las Vegas if he has to- for a trial or whatever. But Ben does NOT have the time for this at ALL right now! And what type of person files suit for such a STUPID accident TWO years later? My guess is she's down on her gambling luck and needs the extra cash. I hope a judge will see it that way and not give her any money. Even though we aren't the ones who have to pay for it--it just seems SO unjust to grant such a person money for this ridiculous accident! According to Ben she didn't come across as a very normal human being...so it doesn't come as a HUGE surprise.

Can someone please tell me WHY we have to deal with such morons in this world? Why are there people out there just living life to make HELL for others? Why do annoying things even happen? If Ben had figured out how to get out of that airport the first time he'd have never met this woman. If I had gone to pick him up this time it wouldn't have happened. If a lot of things...so WHY? What was the point of this happening? Why do people pull out in front of us when we are in a hurry and cause us to miss the next 3 stoplights? If they had waited 4 more seconds we could have been at our destination 3 minutes earlier! I know sometimes these things can keep bigger worse things from happening. But from my small perspective...all I can do is ask WHY?!

5 comments:

Aubrey said...

I hate to say this but 'Welcome to Las Vegas'... ugh. Nate just got a $190 ticket for pulling into the middle lane instead of the one closest to him.... driving to church... on a Sunday morning... virtually no cars... except this cop lady. I'm thinking seriously lady... there's got to be something more productive to be doing in Las Vegas.... Do you know what you're naming baby boy yet? I think you mentioned it in a post, but I don't remember. We're having a hard time trying to decide...

Beth Olsen said...

That sounds really familiar...last year I was served with papers 3 DAYS before the statute ran out. That is 5 FREAKING YEARS AFTER THE INITIAL ACCIDENT! I feel your frustration...people really are desperate. My case took about a year, it was also with State Farm and they were amazing to work with! Good luck to you guys, I know I cried at first because my feelings were so hurt that someone would SUE me...but really, people are just SO desperate for money, and I think it's an attention thing too...

Steven and Miranda said...

I hear ya! There are so many things in my life that I just ask WHY? But, I have truly learned that it is for a good reason! Steven lost his project for school 2 weeks before his final and he stayed up Sunday through Thursday redoing what was suppose to be done earlier! He was forced to back everything up on another back up since his current back up got corrupted. Just the other day I was working on Tanner's 3 month blog and found that ALL of Tanner's pictures are missing!!! I felt SICK to my stomach but then Steven remembered he had them all backed up on the back up that he used when he lost his project! So now looking back I am grateful that he lost his project even thought that was a rough week for our family! But, all I know is that thing could be much worse in any situation! I am just so grateful that I have my family to go through trials with! Can you imagine being alone? I can't! I know you guys will pull through some how!!! Hang in there!

Shell said...

Have you ever thought why you were born into the family you were born into? And WHY you were born into the gospel? Sometimes that can help put things into perspective. We have challenges no doubt but we are so blessed. things will work out, just a minor road block. Pun intended!

Christina said...

kirsty, i feel you. i already had my rant on facebook, but sometimes crap like this happens and it's so hard to be ok with it. life just sucks sometimes :) actually i should say people just suck sometimes. this lady sounds like a real winner. what goes around comes around though and she will get what's coming to her. sorry your husband has to spend time dealing with it!